Thursday, August 20, 2009

Countdown to Samoa Trip

In just a few more days, we begin our big trip to Samoa, New Zealand, Australia and then back to Samoa. It is crazy here with all the last minute preparations. Being off work for 6 weeks, which I have never done and finally setting out on this trip we've anticipated for so long makes these last days feel almost surreal.

I'm bringing a guitar for Paul and still have not quite figured out Air New Zealand's stance on that as carry-on luggage. 'Am double bagging some hot sauce and horseradish to bring to Paul. I am nervous about that breaking in my bag. What a nightmare that would be.

A last minute snag is whether school will now be in session to make up for the Swine Flu closure. The change in sides of the roads for driving has caused some rethinking of our plans too. But coping with curve balls is all part of the travel adventure. We will see what happens.

Thank you to each of you for sending me your advice and experience with your trips to Samoa. It was so helpful.

7 comments:

marija said...

those are just small detales and I am sure you will have a wonderful trip. 6 weeks? that is fantastic. have a blast

Marija

Barb Carusillo said...

We hope you have an awesome trip...I kind of wish I was going again, this time making sure I did that River fale hike because that looked so cool. In 6 weeks, you sure should get a flavor of the three places you are going, that is for sure. I wish we could have hit Austrailia as well, but 3 weeks was more than enough for my husband, he was ready to go home to his own world. Maybe next time!
You are hitting an exciting time...the Long boat competition, the Miss Samoa competition, the road switch! You may experience something that few of us ever will, the after effects of such a dramatic change. Stay safe!

Patty Leal said...

I'm so jealous! I want to go back.
We took a guitar to Matthew in May. We got a box from the local music store and filled it with bubble wrap and foam peanuts. We checked it and didn't have to pay any extra.

Patty Leal said...

I'm so jealous! I want to go back.
We took a guitar to Matthew in May. We got a box from the local music store and filled it with bubble wrap and foam peanuts. We checked it and didn't have to pay any extra.

Karen said...

Have a wonderful vacation! You will get to see and do alot in 6 weeks. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Barb Carusillo said...

Jane,
It has been awhile since you posted. How was your trip? I hope it was phenomenal. It is hard to believe it has been half a year snce we have been there, and our kids are within a couple weeks of coming home. I will miss reading their blog, but I will be glad to see them!

AZ Mom said...

Jane -
Hi from sunny AZ. I am Philip's Mom. I am curious to read how your trip to see Paul went, especially since you were able to spend so much time there. Three of us (my husband, Bill, and one of Philip's brothers, Matthew, and myself) will be going to W. Samoa in May for a one week visit, then on to New Zealand for one week.
Would you be able to give me some ideas on what types of "treats" to take and any travel tips as well? Not sure how to actually connect with you - hopefully the blog sends you a notification that someone has posted something? I'll wait to see...
Peggy