Friday, April 3, 2009

'Just Rambling......

I've had too much coffee tonight. So forgive my rambling on here about an assortment of items.

Have you noticed the group 81 blogs have quieted down? They must be busy, doing their work now that they are officially on the job. I do miss reading more about daily life there; what it is like, what they are up to, how they are doing and such. Karen, I agree. Somehow, reading the blogs makes me feel closer too. I am thankful for Matt and Sara's consistent updates. I read them first thing each morning. Its my Peace Corps mom ritual. How tough it must have been to be a Peace Corps mom before the days of Internet and cell phones.

Swell. Now I get to worry about tsunamis and cyclones! What's a mother to do? Paul would dismiss this as my worrying too much/obsessing, but I say its my motherly right.

So its been nearly 6 months since the group 81ers said goodbye. Lately I've been feeling like "well its been long enough honey, isn't it time for you to come home yet?" 'Guess I better get over that.

What a letter writer I have become. I'm our mailman's new best friend. I believe he thinks I am now single-handedly funding his retirement. I love getting letters. They are almost like little surprise presents in the mailbox. So I figure it is even better than that for someone so far from home and family.

On the more practical side -
Has anyone booked their hotel reservations yet? I have not, but my trip is not until the end of August. If you have checked out hotels, would you share any advice or information you have with the rest of us? 'Could use some advice on this subject.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Jane,
We have made our hotel reservations. We had to get Erin to call in the credit card number since I wasn't comfortable putting it in an e-mail. It took some time getting it done, but we booked at four different places.

Barb Carusillo said...

You are so good at letter writing!! I have to say I am impressed. I send e-mails, comment on blog and Flickr postings and talk to my daughter every week to two weeks, but have only sent maybe one snail mail letter, not including the ones I send in their packages. We have sent around 4 or 5 of those so far. Going to the post office to mail letters seems like so much effort when I can blast off an e-mail without buying postage, or getting in my car. You are such a good mom.
We have only 18 days left till we leave on our trip. I just picked up the prophylactic Cipro that we need to take with us, bought some custom appropriate clothes, and we are going to practice pack tomorrow. WooHoo!