Saturday, February 7, 2009

"Care Packages"

Today, I mailed my third shipment to Paul. I have found the USPS large flat rate box to be the best bet for the money at $53.95. In the line at the Post Office, I notice people stare at me holding my parcel marked "God is watching" and "God protect this package" and have a puzzled look on their faces. I wonder what they are thinking. Since I'm in Minnesota they don't speak up, instead, they hold back on their thoughts. That's part of "Minnesota Nice", it is kind of "fa'aMinnesota"; the Minnesotan way.

Filling every space in the box has for me, become almost an art form. In the smallest of spaces, single serving packs of Crystal Light work well. Silica gel packets are another item for that purpose.

In making care package purchases or other arrangements, I've discovered pulling the Peace Corps card makes many become immediately accommodating. The people at Proex scoured through their merchandise hunting down the silica gel packets. The local music store gave me a 15% discount on the long list of music related items on my shopping list. Verizon checked into waiving the early termination fee upon proof of Paul's joining the PC as they do for those who join the military. The fee was waived in short order. How nice. I didn't expect that from a big corporation.

It will be interesting to see how long this parcel takes to reach the PC office. Oddly, Paul received the second package I sent three weeks earlier. Much like my letters, which I number, things get there in no logical order.

In this shipment, I had extra room to send along some surprise comforts of home like spices, coffee, instant oatmeal packets, post-it note page markers, extra clothes and such. I imagine it must feel a bit like Christmas going through the package.

In planning for the next shipment, I was wondering what others have sent along that has been a hit.

5 comments:

Barb Carusillo said...

You will probably meet lots of PCV Samoa parents now that you asked Matt to put it out there. I imagine you and I are not the only PC parents that read Matt's blog since he writes daily. My daughter Sara, and son-in-law, Cale are in group 79 (SeeReeves blogspot)...they both teach computer this year. I made the mistake of sending liquids in a plastic container once when mailing a package without sealing it in zip lock bag. Bad idea, because when it was dropped kicked by some handler, it burst, and everything inside got coated, and the box nearly disintegrated. So, now everything liquid goes in ziplock!!! We are heading to Samoa to visit in 3 months, can't wait!

Patty Leal said...

I was really happy to connect to your blog. I'm Matthew's mom (Group 81 Matt). I was happy to read the package stuffing ideas since his birthday is next month and we'll be mailing some things soon. Thanks for having Matthew post a link to your blog. It's great to see everyone's comments and suggestions. Note for Barb - when are you going? We're going to Samoa in early May.

Manaia said...

That's part of "Minnesota Nice", it is kind of "fa Minnesota"; the Minnesotan way. --Jane


POLYNESIAN CAUSATIVES.

By E. Tbeoeab, F.E.Hisi.S., F.E.G.S.

THE letter-changes and the variety of meanings attached to the different forms of the Polynesian Causative form one of the most interesting subjects of thought to which the student of language can address his powers. The addition of a certain prefix confers the sense of causation—of "making to do" a thing, whether the main word so treated is generally used as a noun or a verb. Thus, with takoto, to lie, to recline, we have whaka-takoto, to lay down ; with atua, a god, we get whaka-atua, to deify.

The most common, and, perhaps, important form of the causative prefix is the Maori whaka, the Tongan faka, the Samoan fa'a.[more...]

http://tinyurl.com/ash8uf
....

Like faaSamoa "the Samoan way", you can have faaMinnesotan "the Minnesota way".

FAASAMOA, adv. 1. in the Samoan way, according to Samoan customs, with decorum.

FAASAMOA, adj. Samoan, as o le Fa'aSamoa. O le aganuu FaaSamoa.

FAASAMOA, n. 1. the customs and ways of doing things of the Samoan people, the social,economic and political system of the

Samoan people. 2. the Samoan language.

http://www.samoalive.com/sd_f.htm
....

Yes, I am half-Samoan(afatasi) but raised in the States and therefore I am having to learn the Samoan gagana/language the hard way through kind and generous assistance from Samoans on the Net and a lot of help from the Samoan dictionary/books.

Hope my sharing can be of help for you. Fa'afetai tele/Thanks!

Manuia/Regards,
--Manaia

Manaia said...

Like faaSamoa "the Samoan way", you can have faaMinnesotan "the Minnesota way".

Oops!
It should be: faaMinnestoa "the Minnesotan way" or Minnesotian way?

I will check further with my Tita/teacher.

SMILES

jacob20martin said...

Very interesting post! I am also taking help of courier services Dallas for sending gift packages to my loved ones. The Christmas is around the corner and I am a lot occupied with my work. I will have to look for a fast service so that my packages reach on time. Being a good and responsible aunt, I have to make sure the gifts reach my kids on time.